Immunopaedia – Advancing Global Immunology Education
Immunopaedia aims to promote education, knowledge and research in Immunology globally. Immunopaedia.org, based in South Africa, is designed to address the fundamental needs of students and healthcare providers requiring a general understanding of Immunology.
Immunopaedia believes that Immunology is at the very heart of healthcare and promoting Immunology education promotes more effective diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Immunopaedia is composed of clinical and Immunological themes where unique information and imagery is presented in various formats to maximize understanding. We provide open-access to:
- Over 50 Clinical Case Studies – Real-life clinical cases are used to examine an Immunological concept that leads to greater understanding of the human immune system. These include patient presentation, history, differential diagnosis, examination, investigations, discussion, treatment, and a final outcome. Questions and answers are provided so that you can evaluate your understanding.
- Immunology Basics – Unique information on the structure and inner workings of the immune system.
- Advanced Immunology – Topics that take a deeper understanding of Immunological concepts.
- Special Focus Area – Diseases such as TB, HIV and Malaria as well as Cancer and Tumours and autoimmune diseases.
- Treatments & Diagnostics – Information on diseases with a focus on HIV and TB diagnosis and specific guidelines for treatment. The Diagnostic Tools section includes information for immunological testing and clinical practice. While the Diagnostic Tests section provides laboratory assay information, such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs), polymerase chain reactions (PCRs), and flow cytometry.
- Breaking News – Keep up to date with news in the world of Immunological research with links to relevant journals and publications.
- Glossary – Fully defined scientific and Immunological terminology.
We also provide subscribed online courses for Immunology learning bodies as support for real-world courses.
- Teaching & Learning Skills - Immunopaedia creates and hosts online courses in partnership with the International Union of Immunological Societies (IUIS) and other bodies. These courses educate and support participants and students before and after Immunology courses world-wide. We provide frameworks of knowledge so that participants can fully engage and get the very best out of real-world courses. We also provide lectures, relevant resources and assessments to educate users on all fronts.
Immunopaedia is an immediate source of unique information for professionals and students and represents an effective means for learning and dissemination of Immunology information. Our mission is to promote knowledge and research in the field of immunology world-wide please visit Immunopaedia.org to join us.
Prof. Clive Gray, the founder of Immunopaedia, was awarded the International Leadership Award from the Elizabeth Glaser Paediatric AIDS Foundation in 2004. This prize allowed him to start Immunopaedia in 2006 after consulting with clinicians and Immunologists on how best to educate students and professionals in a meaningful way. It became clear that a strong link to clinicians’ actual practice would be required to engage them, and case studies became that link. Real-life cases in which knowledge of Immunology plays a part in ‘demystifying’ the science.
Initially Immunopaedia was created to provide an easy-to-understand summary of the effects of HIV infection on the immune system, which could facilitate improvement in clinical practice. Immunopaedia has since progressed to include more general immunology knowledge that is relevant to other disease conditions. Information and educational materials are available through open access, and the site can be used as an adjunct to more formal courses or as a stand-alone learning tool.
Immunopaedia was awarded the Science Prize for Online Resources in Education (SPORE) in 2010. This was a first for a South African online initiative. The SPORE prize was developed to single out the best online materials in science education.